Iron & Iron ore and Steel india and global production
Iron ore and Steel production states countries UPSC
Iron ore producing states
Iron ore and Steel production:
- At present, India is the 4th largest (285 million tonnes 2020-21) iron-ore producing country in the world Behind, australia, china & brazil..
- About 95% of total reserves of iron are located in the states Of Odisha ,Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka, Goa, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil
- The iron ore mines are located in close proximity to the coal fields in the north eastern plateau region of the country.
Iron and steel industry
- Iron and Steel Industry
- Iron and steel industry is called Basic Industry because it finds use in heavy engineering, defense equipments, automobiles etc.
- The real beginning of iron and steel industries in India starts after the setup of Tata Iron and Steel Company (TISCO) in 1907 at Jamshedpur. Later on IISCO was setup at Burnpur in 1919 followed by Visveswaraya Iron and Steel Works Ltd. in 1923 at Bhadravati.
- India is the world’s second-largest producer of crude steel, with an output of 125.32 MT of crude steel and finished steel production of 121.29 MT in FY23.
- India is home to fifth-highest reserves of iron ore in the world.
- It is a Weight Loosing, Industry because of heavy utilization of raw materials.
- The major industries in the field of iron ore are at Bhadravati, Bhilai and Salem; at Kulti-Burnpur,
Durgapur and Bokaro in the field of coal; the industries of Jamshedpur and Rourkela are situated in the middle region of both the resources.
- The Iron and Steel industry imports coal from Australia since there is deficiency of coking coal in internal regions of India.
Sail plants –
- Indian Iron and Steel Company (IISCO), Burnpur
- Durgapur Steel Plant, West Bengal
- Bhilai Steel Plant, Chhattisgarh - It was established in the Durg district of Chhattisgarh in 1957 with the help of the former Soviet Union (Russia) and the production began in 1959.
- Rourkela Steel Plant, Odisha - Rourkela Steel plant was established in 1956 in the Sundargarh district of Odisha, in collaboration with the German firm, Krupp and Demag
- Bokaro Steel Plant, Jharkhand - This steel plant was established in collaboration with Russia in 1964, at the confluence of Bokaro and Damodar river and the production started from 1972.